This driver is for PCI modems with the Conexant HSFI CX11252-41Z chipset. Please check if your PCI modem card has this component. The driver is known to work with the CNET SinglePoint PCI modem using the Conexant HSFI CX11252-41Z chipset. It may also be compatible with the following CX11252 chipsets:
- Conexant HSFI CX11252-11
- Conexant HSFI CX11252-15
- Conexant HSFI CX11252-41Z
It may also be generically compatible with most other Conexant models. The modem audio should work with this version. Sound fails to load during dialing with the older Microsoft-provided version.
Modem chipset manufacturer Conexant also provides the generic driver software in their website at www.conexant.com (See the Windows XP Driver Information page under Modem Support) but may still not be compatible with your modem. It is recommended to go to the modem manufacturer for their latest modem drivers.
The Conexant HSFI CX11252-41Z driver is equivalent to the older SoftV90 Data Fax Modem and SoftV92 Data Fax Modem version 18.104.22.168 drivers provided by Microsoft for CXT (Conexant) that is shipped with Windows XP and can be found in file WINDOWS\inf\mdmcxsf2.inf. This driver download is the newer 22.214.171.124 version dated 10/02/2004. It is provided by Conexant.
How To Install in Windows XP
- Press Windows+Pause keys to invoke System Properties window.
- Select Hardware tab. Under Device Manager, click Device Manager button.
- In the Device Manager window, click the + sign before item Other devices. Your modem may be listed under Other devices as PCI Simple Communications Controller with a yellow icon since no compatible driver have been installed yet. Modems are commonly detected as PCI Simple Communications Controller if its compatible hardware ID is not among the inf files in WINDOWS\inf folder. Right click on it and select Update Driver...
- The Hardware Update Wizard window should pop up. Under "What do you want the wizard to do?", select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)." and click Next> button.
- In the Please choose your search and installation options window, select "Search for the best driver in these locations" option. Leave "Include this location in the search:" as the only item checked and click Browse button to select the folder where you have extracted the driver files. Click OK.
- Select a modem in the list of hardware that appears. Click Next>.
- Windows may warn you that this device driver may not be compatible. Just click Yes button.
If your modem is listed in this driver folder, it should begin copying the necessary files.
Windows might prompt you that the software you are installing for this hardware has not passed Windows Logo testing and ask you whether to continue or stop the driver installation. Just click Continue Anyway button.
If installation is successful, the Completing the Hardware Update Wizard page appears. Click on Finish button. You should now be able to see your modem listed as Conexant PCI SoftV92 Modem under Modems item in the Device Manager window. If your modem is compatible with this driver, it should appear with the modem icon.
Cannot Install this Hardware?
If the Cannot Install this Hardware page appears, click <Back button and follow these steps:
- In the "Please choose your search and installation options" window, select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." Click Next>.
- In the Hardware Type page, select Modems and click Next>.
- In the Install New Modem page, click Have Disk... button.
- In the Install From Disk prompt, click Browse... button to select the folder where you have extracted the driver files. Click Next>.
If the Cannot Install this Hardware page still appears, this driver is not compatible with your modem hardware.